The website is has now officially been moved from limedomains off onto 000 webhost for now.
A bit of a learning experience to do it though but once you know what to do its actually quite easy.
Here is a guide on how to move your wordpress site from one webhost and url to another webhost with a new url with no downtime.
For example if you have your wordpress site on http://test.yourdomain.com on Limedomains because you’ve been testing it and now your ready to move it to http://mynewdomain.com onto 000 webhost or any other webhosting with sql support.
Lets get started…
- The database: Log into Phpmyadmin and go to the ‘export section’.
Make sure everything is set like this:
(be sure to select gzipped for the compression and if your using safari make sure that you go into your settings and deactivate “open safe files” otherwise it will automaticly be unzipped as soon as it downloads.)
- Now log into your new webhost and make a new database.
Then log in using the username and password that you made for the new database.
Go to the import section of PhpMyAdmin and import the file that you exported from your original database.
- Now you’ve got your comments, posts and settings from your original WordPress database moved over onto your new database!
But we still have to change your site url. If you don’t do this your wordpress site won’t work properly and you won’t be able to log in.
To change the site url you have to navigate to the wp_options table and open it in PhpMyAdmin
Once you’ve found the wp_options table click on the little table icon to open it up then change the siteurl from you’re old website to the new one, in the example below I have already altered it to the updated url.
- Now that you’ve got the database moved over we have to move over the wordpress site.
Log into your original wordpress site using ftp and copy all the files (ensure that your ftp program is set to show invisible files as there is a crutial file called .htaccess which is invisible and must be moved over) Â onto your hdd in a folder and get a cup of coffee because this will take a while.
Now log into your new webhost and copy all the files back (including invisible files) and get another cup of coffee because this will take a while too.
- Now that you moved over all the files from the original webhost onto the new one using ftp we need to tell it the name of the new database. We do this by editing the wp-config file in the new webhost directory.
Just transfer it onto your desktop and edit it using a conventional text editor.
Scroll down to this part:
* This file is used by the wp-config.php creation script during theÂ * installation. You don’t have to use the web site, you can just copy this fileÂ * to “wp-config.php” and fill in the values.Â *Â * @package WordPressÂ */
// ** MySQL settings – You can get this info from your web host ** ///** The name of the database for WordPress */define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘yournewdatabasenamegoeshere’);
/** MySQL database username */define(‘DB_USER’, ‘yournewdatabaseusernamegoeshere’);
/** MySQL database password */define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘yournewpaswordgoeshere’);
/** MySQL hostname */define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘mysql16.000webhost.com’);
99% of the time the hostname is apparently localhost but I had to make it 000webhost’s sql settings.
- Once you’ve finished editing the file drag it back onto your server and thats it! your done you should now be able to log into your updated wordpress website.Although you can log in you will need to change the website URL in the Settings -> General tab to your new website URL as this has not yet been changed.
Tags000webhost Avalon avalon web design Beneath Hill 60 Bill Leimbach building website cheap domains construction site construction website CSS domain names ftp gallery site gallery website guide Latest design lime cordiale limedomains lucky country productions Mona vale move wordpress from one domain to another moving music northern beaches northern beaches web design northern beaches website design Northern Beaches Wordpress open cart phpmyadmin prestashop SEO Northern Beaches SEO Northern Beaches website design SEO Sydney Sydney sydney website design Sydney Wordpress web design web hosting website being built in progress website design website design northern beaches website design on the northern beaches wordpress wordpress cms yotike